Certified Arborist Report- FAQ

Certified Arborist Report- FAQ

Unless you have a particular knowledge or interest in trees, or plant health, it can be really difficult to tell if they are in good condition or if they have a disease. It may not seem overly essential, but taking correct care of any trees on your property is actually really important. If a tree is in poor health or has structural issues, it could fall down and damage your house, or even hurt someone. On top of this, many councils also require you to look after trees, especially native Australian species. This is why it is can be crucial to hire a tree surgeon. Many companies offer certified arborist reports to help people understand if their tree is healthy or not. Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about certified arborist reports.


What is a certified arborist report?

A certified arborist report is a document used to record details about tree identification, condition, size, health and any damage. Typically, these files also include information about the tree’s environment, for example the type of soil and the condition of the surrounding land; it may also mention if there are signs of pests and signs of potential diseases. Often these assessments will include recommendations for how to treat or cure diseased trees and how any residential or commercial development may affect the plants. Essentially, this is a document that keeps a record of everything to do with a particular tree. This has particular importance for rare species of tree or because the plant provides a habitat for local wildlife.


When is a certified arborist report required?

There are several situations in which an assessment is needed, the first of which is when the local council requests you get one completed. This is usually the case for plants that are either rare, of Aboriginal importance or are a home for many animals. In this case, it is in the best interest of the government, or council, to ensure the tree is in good health. If you wish to prune or remove any trees that fall under any of those categories, you will also need to get an assessment done beforehand. This is also something you should consider if you are planning to renovate or build extensions on your current home. Failure to obtain an assessment can result in fines, so be aware of local council laws and regulations. Another reason why you may need to contact a tree surgeon is if you notice any issues with a tree on your property; this could include dead branches, cracks in the branch, or pests.


Who can carry out a certified arborist report?

Any assessment will be completed and documented by professional tree surgeon who has the correct qualifications. In Australia, the required qualification is a Diploma of Horticulture (Arboriculture) from a relevant college. Many professionals are also members of Arboriculture Australia or the Institute of Australian Consulting Arborists. The document must also include a statement from the professional to say their assessment was impartial and the condition of the trees was based on the given evidence.


What information is on a certified arborist report document?

Once the assessment has been completed, the professional will complete a document stating their findings. Firstly, a table for each tree will be included which details the common and scientific names, approximate height and age, diameter at one metre height and estimates of the tree’s life expectancy. Furthermore, there will also be information pertaining the methods used to gain the information, and a site plan showing the location of all relevant trees. There will also be details regarding the trees health, if there are pest problems, the structural health and if any diseases are affecting the tree. Lastly, all available options and recommended action for the particular tree will be listed.